- Art Place at Fort Totten is a multi-phase planned unit development (PUD) located on South Dakota Avenue NE between Galloway Street and Kennedy Street. The developer is the Cafritz Foundation. The project replaces the Riggs Plaza Apartments (also owned by Cafritz).
- The first phase (Building A) broke ground in spring 2014 and was completed in fall 2017.
- Building A is a six-story building with approximately 520 apartments (the Modern DC) atop approximately 107,000 square feet of ground floor retail, with a four-story above-grade parking garage (337 spaces for retail/service and 264 spaces for residential use).
- 141 apartments will be set aside for affordable and senior affordable housing, including units for displaced Riggs Plaza Apartment tenants
- Current Tenants: Shining Stars Pediatric Dentistry; Ramdass Pharmacy; T-Mobile. Lease has been signed with 24 Hour Fitness, expected to open late 2019/early 2020. Love & Care Early Childhood Center expected to open early 2020. Other expected uses: office for ANC 5A; eateries and other retail.
- As part of the transportation demand management plan, the owner has agreed to provide a one-time membership fee to a car-sharing service for each residential unit, upon request.
- The owner has also agreed to provide a $25 SmarTrip card to each residential unit at initial occupancy.
- 174 secure bicycle parking spaces will be provided and a minimum of 35 bicycle parking spaces will be provided in the public space around Building A.
- The PUD permanently closed Hamilton Street between South Dakota and 4th Street and created a new extension of Ingraham Street west of South Dakota to 4th Street.
- Future phases are expected to bring a children’s museum and additional retail and housing, but the developer has asked for more time to consider other potential uses for the remaining phases of the development.
Documents submitted for the first-stage PUD can be viewed on DC’s Office of Zoning website by searching case number 06-10. HR Retail is the leasing agent for the site. To view the site plan, visit http://hrretail.com/properties/art-place-at-fort-totten.
2nd phase (Block B): Plans filed with Zoning Commission September 4, 2018 (case number 06-10D)
Boundaries: North – Kennedy Street NE; South – Ingraham Street NE; East – South Dakota Avenue NE; West – Public alley west of 4th Street NE
- Family Entertainment Zone (FEZ): artist collective, children and adult programming
- Meow Wolf to occupy 75,000 square feet of the FEZ
- Food Hall
30 subsized artist housing/maker spacesRevised to 30 ground floor studios in January 2019 submission 210-250 market rate apartmentsRevised to 270 apartments in January 2019 submission; mix of studio, 1 bedroom, & 2 bedrooms
- Explore! Children’s Museum
- 50,000 square feet ground floor retail
- Grocery store
- 4th Street closed to provide shared vehicle/pedestrian walkway
- Green roofs
- Dog run
- 95,000 square feet of cultural uses
Proposed phasing plan
- 1st quarter 2020: Begin construction on Block B, expected to take 30 months
- 3rd quarter 2022: Block B construction completed
- December 31, 2024: Applicant will file PUD application for either Block C or Block D
- December 31, 2030: Applicant will file PUD application for final block
- To read our posts on the development, click on the Cafritz Art Place at Fort Totten tab listed in the Categories section on the right-hand side of this site.